Crisp Candied Prosciutto Wafers
- Yield 4-6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 40 mins
These crisp & salty-sweet wafers of Italian dry-cured ham are delicious all by themselves or as a nibble with cocktails.
You'll need a kitchen mini-blowtorch to make these tasty little treats.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 to 12 -- wafer thin slices Prosciutto di Parma
- -- Confectioners' sugar
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until hot and bubbling. Place prosciutto in the pan in one layer and fry, turning once, until buckled like bacon and a rich mahogany color.
- Remove prosciutto and drain well on absorbent paper while you fry the remaining pieces. Cool completely. (They should be crisp like bacon.)
- Dust each piece of prosciutto generously with confectioners' sugar and then heat with a kitchen blowtorch until the sugar is delicately caramelized. Do not overbrown or the prosciutto will be bitter. Let cool until crisp.
Recipe by Chef Alberto Rossetti and Damon Fowler