- Yield 4 servings
Crepes are stuffed with a delicious blend of cheeses then topped with a savory tomato sauce.
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce with tomato pieces
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 -- egg
- -- Chopped fresh mint to taste
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- -- Crepes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 -- eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare manicotti: Combine tomato sauce, wine, garlic, basil, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in small saucepan. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Saute mushrooms in butter in skillet over high heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add to tomato mixture; set aside.
- Combine mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, egg and mint with salt and pepper to taste in bowl; mix well.
- Spread cheese filling on cremes; roll to enclose filling. Arrange seam side down in buttered baking dish. Spoon tomato sauce mixture over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- To prepare crepes: Combine eggs, water, flour and salt in blender in order listed; process on High for 20 to 30 seconds. Scape down sides of blender; process for several seconds longer.
- Spray crepe pan with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons batter into heated pan, tilting to coat pan evenly; pour off excess batter.
- Bake until edges of crepe are crisp. Turn crepe. Bake until golden brown. Repeat process with remaining batter, spraying crepe pan as needed. Stack crepes between waxed paper until time to fill.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’sThe Best of Wheeling (Wheeling, West Virginia, 1994).