Creole Vegetable Gumbo Ya Ya
- Yield 8 servings
This vegetarian gumbo includes all the traditional seasonings, but none of the fish.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes in puree
- 1 quart water or vegetable broth
- 1 pound fresh okra, sliced, or 1 pound frozen sliced okra
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file powder, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 scallions, minced
- Salt, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oil or butter in a nonreactive large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Add flour and stir frequently over medium heat until flour is browned. Add onions, celery, garlic, peppers and jalapenos; continue to stir a few minutes until vegetables begin to soften. Add tomatoes and mix well. Gradually add water or broth and combine well. Bring to a boil.
- In another pan lightly sprayed with no-stick cooking spray, saute okra over high heat until brown. This prevents okra from getting sticky or slimy when added to gumbo. Add okra to gumbo. Add bay leaves, thyme, file powder and cayenne pepper to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours, uncovered. Add scallions; season with salt and lemon. Makes 3 quarts.