Creole Chicken Skillet
- Yield 6 servings
- 6 -- ears fresh corn
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 -- chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -- yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 -- red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 -- green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces fresh or frozen sliced okra, thawed if frozen
- 2 -- Creole tomatoes, diced
- 1 -- jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 -- green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- -- Garnish: additional fresh thyme leaves and sprigs of fresh thyme
Remove the husks and silks from the corn. Bring the water to a boil in a large stock pot, add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Add the corn and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the corn from the water and with a sharp knife, cut the corn kernels from the cob.
Trim any excess skin from the chicken thighs. In a medium bowl, combine the Creole seasoning, granulated garlic, pepper and flour. Dust the chicken thighs with the flour mixture. .
Combine the olive oil and butter in a large, cast iron skillet and place over medium high heat. Arrange the seasoned and floured chicken thighs, skin side down, in the skillet and cook until browned. Turn the thighs and cook for 3 minutes on the underside of the thigh. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
To the same skillet, add the onions, celery and peppers; saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, corn, okra, tomatoes, jalapeno and chicken broth. Return the chicken thighs to the skillet, skin side up. Reduce the skillet heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, thyme, green onions, remaining salt and cayenne; continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes.
To serve, spoon the "Trinity" Cream Maque Choux into a rimmed serving platter or large shallow bowl and top with the chicken thighs. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and sprigs of fresh thyme.