Creole Pork Chops
- Yield 6 servings
Try this delicious recipe next time you want to serve pork chops.
- 8 -- (3/4-inch thick) loin pork chops, well trimmed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Pat chops dry with paper towels. Heat oil in a Dutch oven. When very hot, add chops and brown 3 minutes on each side. Remove chops as they brown and keep warm. Discard all but 3 tablespoons pan drippings. Add onion and next 3 ingredients and saute 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and next 7 ingredients. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return chops to Dutch oven and cook 30 minutes, turning once. Transfer chops to a large, deep, heated platter. Remove bay leaf and pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of New Orleans’ Jambalaya (The Junior League of New Orleans, La., 1983).