- Yield 4 servings
This dish is best made with fresh garden tomatoes.
- 2 -- cucumbers
- 8 -- Creole tomatoes
- 3 -- red bell peppers, seeded
- 2 -- red onions
- 6 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- Cut the unpeeled cucumbers into halves lengthwise and remove the seeds. Chop the cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers and red onions separately into 1-inch pieces. Pulse 1 vegetable at a time in a food precessor until coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess.
- Combine all of the processed vegetables in a large bowl. Add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, kosher salt and pepper and mix well. Chill, covered, for 8 to 12 hours to enhance the flavor.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Greater Covington’s Roux To Do (Junior League of Greater Covington, Louisiana, 2004).