Creole Crab Bisque
- Yield 8 servings
This flavorful soup can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer.
- 1 12/ sticks butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 4 -- garlic cloves, pressed
- 2/3 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 pound crabmeat
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add flour and cook and stir 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Add tomato paste and next 5 ingredients. Cook until tender. Add parsley. Slowly stir in broth. Add Worcestershire sauce and remaining 7 ingredients. Cover and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of New Orleans’ Jambalaya (The Junior League of New Orleans, La., 1983).