Creamy Tomato Soup
- Yield: 10 cups
A container or two of this comforting soup, a loaf of bread, and bag of salad—bingo, it’s dinner. This recipe makes 10 cups—enough for a friend and some left over for you. The soup is on the sweet side, so you may want to decrease the sugar.
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1-- carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1-- bay leaf
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 1pinch ground cloves
- 2 to 3tablespoons brown sugar
- 3cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2-- (28-ounce cans) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup half-and-half
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrot and bay leaf; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and cloves. Stir until vegetables are well coated.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Remove bay leaf and discard. Purée soup in a blender (working in batches) until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper. Slowly pour in half-and-half, stirring constantly. Refrigerate until serving time.
- When reheating soup, do not to bring to a boil, or cream will curdle. If you plan to freeze soup, do so before adding half-and-half.
Recipe by Amy Sgarro,