Creamy Potato Soup – Low Fat
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Pureed potatoes give the soup a great body and creaminess, but no added fat.
For the deluxe version, serve with reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese and a dallop of fat-free sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 -- (16-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes (about 3 large)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (scallions)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat and add the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the broth, stirring constantly. Add the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, in batches if necessary. Return to the pot, stir in the evaporated milk, season to taste with salt and pepper and heat thoroughly. Garnish with green onions.