Creamy Potato Soup
- Yield 8 servings
Pureed potatoes give this soup great body and creaminess but no added fat.
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) light stick margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (16-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled diced potatoes (about 3 large)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup liquid nondairy creamer
- Chopped parsley or sliced green onions, to garnish
- Melt margarine in a large pot over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat and add the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the broth, stirring constantly. Add the potatoes and green onions. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, in batches if necessary. Return to the pot. Add salt and pepper, stir in nondairy creamer, and heat thoroughly. Garnish with parsley or green onions. Makes 8 cups.