Creamy Portobello Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
Portobellos are simply large versions of the common white mushroom and its immediate cousin, the brown crimini mushroom.
- 1pound potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 3tablespoons butter
- 2large carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 1pound portobello mushrooms, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1/4cup dry sherry
- 2cups whole milk
- 1cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Cook potatoes in 3 cups water over medium-high heat about 10 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic; cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until barely tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in sherry; cook for 1 minute. Remove 11/2 cups of the mushroom mixture and set aside.
- Place potatoes and remaining mushroom mixture in a food processor. Process until smooth. Pour into saucepan. Add milk, chicken broth, thyme, salt, pepper and reserved mushroom mixture. Simmer about 10 minutes over medium heat or until thoroughly heated.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council, http://www.mushroomcouncil.com