Creamy Popeye Soup
- Yield 2-3 servings
This raw soup was inspired by Popeye!
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 big avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi vinegar
- sea salt and fresly ground red pepper
- Wilt the spinach by marinating it in a bowl with the tamari soy sauce for 15 minutes.
- When the spinach has finished marinating, put all the ingredients, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and bright green. I have suggested using warm water instead of cold, for a milder taste.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of extra pepper.
- Beware: if you’re new to raw food, wait a few weeks before making this soup. It has a strong chlorophyll flavour which can seem ‘grassy’ to people who aren’t used to raw greens. Once your taste buds become familiar with these new tastes, you will be ready for this fantastic soup.
- Avocado is rich in protein, fibre and monounsaturated fats, contains 35% more potassium than a banana, and eating it regularly will make your skin and hair glow! It’s a well-known fact that nutrients in avocado decrease the level of LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) and help our heart to stay in top shape.
Reprinted with permission from Raw Food Kitchen by Dunja Gulin, Ryland Peters & Small.