Creamy Mushroom and Corn Chowder
- Yield 4 servings
This hearty soup, starring mushrooms and corn, is perfect to serve on a cool day.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1 -- (10-ounce) package frozen corn kernels or 2 cups fresh kernels
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- In a large saucepan, heat oil until hot. Add mushrooms, onion and celery; cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, corn kernels, creamed corn and ham. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, to blend flavors, about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and flour until smooth; stir into saucepan. Return to a boil; cook and stir until chowder thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Season with hot pepper sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.