Creamy Lemon Rice
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
What type of rice should you choose? Many cooks reach for long grain rice, finding that it offers the perfect texture for recipes.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- -- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3 cups chicken broth, boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- -- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in the rice and lemon zest. Cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is opaque, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth and salt. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbd. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the cream slowly, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until the cream is absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Leage of Lafayette, Inc., Something to Talk About, Occasions We Celebrate in South Louisiana (the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc., 2005)