- Caramelize Sugar:
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1/2cup water
- Flan (Custard):
- 1 (12-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 3/4cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 5large eggs
- 1cup sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1pinch salt
- 1teaspoon rum (optional)
blog comments powered by
- To caramelize sugar, heat sugar and water in small, heavy flat-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat until syrup turns golden brown. Carefully, remove from heat.
- Quickly pour the caramel into 1-quart flan mold or deep 8 or 9-inch round mold, tilting to evenly coat bottom and about 1/2 inch up the sides. Set aside.
- Preheat oven at 350F.
- To make the custard, add milks, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and rum, if desired, to blender container. Cover and blend until just mixed. Strain mixture through a fine sieve, if desired.
- Pour mixture into flan mold. Cover with foil, being careful to keep foil off of liquid surface. Place mold in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Add hot water to pan to come up to 1/2 the height of mold.
- Bake 1 hour or until knife inserted 1 to 2 inches from center comes out clean (center will be wiggly and continue to cook out of the oven). Carefully remove mold from water; loosen foil to vent steam, but keep flan covered. Cool 30 minutes to room temperature. Refrigerate until flan is well chilled, preferably overnight.
- Run a thin knife around the mold edges to loosen. Holding the sides of the mold, gently shake in circular motion back and forth to loosen from bottom. Place serving platter, larger in diameter, over mold. Holding both together, quickly and gently turn over mold onto platter. Allow melted caramel from mold to bathe flan.
Recipe by Maria Alamo Cameron, Illinois. Reprinted with permission from John Wiley & Sons, Inc. The American Dietetic Association’s Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).