Creamy Curried Parsnip and Butter Bean Soup
- Yield servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 pound parsnips, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- (14-ounce) can butter beans, well drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoon fresh snipped chives
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flat breads, to serve
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. When the butter is sizzling, add the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt and cook for 10 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for 1 minute until aromatic. Add the parsnips, stock and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the parsnips and beans are tender.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture in batches to a food processor and process until smooth. Return the soup to a clean saucepan and set over low heat. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the chives. Serve with flat bread.
From Wholesome Kitchen by Ross Dobson. Ryland Peters & Small $24.95