Creamy Chicken Soup with Rice
- Yield 8 servings
Make a flavorful stock with economical chicken quarters, then put together this soup with rice, milk and cheese.
- 2 -- chicken quarters or 1 (2-pound) fryer
- 1 -- potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup brown jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 cups 2-percent reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup half0-and-half
- Place chicken quarters in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Remove chicken and strain broth. Remove chicken from bones and discard bones.
- Add potato and rice to broth; simmer 30 minutes. Add chicken. Whisk milk and flour together until smooth. Add to soup and cook 15 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese and half-and-half.