Creamed Parsnips with Spinach
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2pounds small parsnips, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1medium onion, sliced
- 1cup vegetable broth
- 1teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2cups soy milk or milk
- 1/2teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the margarine or butter with the oil.
- Add the parsnips and cook, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, cover and turn heat down to low. Simmer for about 8 minutes, or until the parsnips are tender. Stir spinach into to parsnips.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of margarine or butter and cook for about 4 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in the soy milk or milk, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil, whisking constantly for about 2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Stir the sauce into the spinach and parsnips and bring to a simmer. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 233
- Fat 11.2g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 164mg
- Potassium 792mg
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Fiber 9g
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 7.3g