Cream Puff Shells
- Yield 10 pieces
These puffs are perfect filled with Buttermilk Pimiento Cheese and Bread and Butter Pickles.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten with 2 teaspoons of water
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Place butter, water and salt in a heavy saucepan over low heat. When butter is melted, increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until evenly blended. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking the flour paste for several minutes (it should resemble mashed potatoes), until it begins to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Scrape paste into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 1 minute to cool slightly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until thoroughly incorporated and scraping the bowl after each addition. When completely smooth, scoop with a 1/4-cup measure and place on the baking pan about 2 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake another 20 minutes. If you see any trace of yellow in the cracks of the puffs, bake 3 to 5 minutes longer; otherwise they will collapse as they cool. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Recipe courtesy of the Loveless Cafe, Nashville, Tenn.