Cream of Zucchini Soup
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Lots of Parmigiano Reggiano makes this thick soup a cheesy delight.
No zucchini on hand? Try this recipe using yellow summer squash.
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion,
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- Grated lemon rind (optional)
- Combine zucchini, onion, garlic, vegetable broth, basil, thyme, salt and pepper in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Slowly whisk cheese and half-and-half into mixture. Pour into a large bowl to cool slightly.
- Place half of mixture into blender; purée. Return to saucepan. Add second half of mixture; purée. Return to saucepan. Simmer until heated. Remove from heat. Garnish with sprinkle of lemon rind.
Recipe by Cindy Kerschner