Cream of Spinach and Sweet Potato Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
Spinach and sweet potatoes join together to produce a sensational, creamy, rich-flavored soup.
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1/2cup chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 3 (16-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 3cups diced and peeled sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2cups skim milk
- 1/2cup sliced green onion stems (scallions)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy pot coated with nonstick cooking spray over a medium-high heat, cook the onion, celery, red bell pepper and garlic until the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and gradually add the chicken broth, whisking until the soup is blended.
- Add the sweet potatoes and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook approximately 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Add the spinach, milk, green onion stems, salt and pepper, cooking until spinach is wilted and soup well heated and thickened, about 5 minutes.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 208
- Fat 1g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 1mg
- Sodium 197mg
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 11g