Cream of Potato Soup
- Yield 7 servings
"I've prepared this soup for many occasions and always find it a pure delight."
- 8 cups water
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and diced (about 8 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 medium jalapeno chilie or 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add potatoes, onions, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Mash potatoes using a potato masher. For a creamier consistency, puree about 4 cups of the potato mixture in a blender, working in batches and holding the lid down securely. Return the pureed potatoes to pan.
- Add butter, cream, and milk; mix well. Season with additional salt and pepper. Top each serving with a small amount of parsley.
Recipe by Dee Shanklin, New Smyrna Beach, Fla.