Cream of Pimiento Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1-- (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 1/2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-- (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 2cups half-and-half
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 5-- scallions, diced
- 1/4teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- -- Fresh basil, chiffonaded for garnish
- Puree pimientos in blender and set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring constantly for one minute.
- Slowly add chicken broth and half-and-half.
- Cook mixture over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in pimento puree, salt, scallions, and Tabasco sauce.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated.
- Chill. To serve, ladle into bowls or cups and top with basil chiffonade.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington, Inc.’s Entertaining with Bluegrass Winners (Lexington, Ky., 2008).