Cream of Peanut Soup from Fort Myers
- Yield 4 servings
Peanut soup is a tradition of the old South.
- 2 tablespoons (heaping) creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken stock, chilled
- 2 cups evaporated milk or half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons minced onion or onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve the peanut butter in the hot water in a saucepan. Blend the cornstarch into the chicken stock in a cup. Stir into the peanut butter mixture. Add evaporated milk, onion and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until thickened and heated through, stirring constantly. You may chill this soup and reheat with good results.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Ft. Myers’ Tropical Settings (the Junior League of Ft. Myers, Inc., Ft. Myers, Fl., 1995).