Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Yield 6 servings
There's nothing like a nice comforting bowl of mushroom soup on a chilly day.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium portabella, cleaned and sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon Basque paprika or other spicy paprika
- 4 cups stock, your choice
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons potato starch or flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 handful minced parsley
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, heat olive oil, over medium heat. Add onions, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until soft; about 10 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and cook 5 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms, and continue to cook over low heat, 7 minutes. Sprinkle in the paprika, and stir. Add beef stock and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool 10 minutes. Put half of stock mixture and about a fourth of the mushrooms into a blender or food processor. Add half-and-half and the starch or flour. Process until the mushrooms are broken up, and the mixture is fairly lump-free. Put mixture back into the stockpot, with remaining stock and mushrooms.
- Gently reheat, over low heat. Stir in the butter. Season with salt and pepper.