Cream of Cauliflower and Lima Bean Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
Be sure to use Fordhook lima beans, which are large, sweet and meaty.
- 16ounces frozen Fordhook lima beans
- 2tablespoons vegetable stock
- 1 1/2cups onions, chopped
- 2teaspoons whole caraway seeds, or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground caraway
- 1teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 5cups water
- Minced fresh parsley (optional)
- Cook lima beans according to package directions. Drain and divide in half.
- Heat vegetable stock in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add onions, caraway seeds, and garlic, and sauté until onions are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a blender, puree soup in batches along with half the reserved lima beans. Return blended soup to pot and stir in remaining whole lima beans. Season with salt and pepper. Warm over medium-low heat until beans are heated through and soup is hot. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Makes 2 quarts.
Recipe by Jo Stepaniak, courtesy of The Cancer Project
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 57
- Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 149mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 3g