Cream Cheese Brownies
- Yield 20 pieces
Nothing improves the delicious goodness of chocolate brownies like the rich cream cheese marbleized in this recipe.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 -- egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package German's sweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 -- eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Beat the cream cheese with 2 tablespoons butter in a mixing bowl until light. Add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in one egg, one tablespoon flour and the vanilla; set aside. Melt the chocolate with 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan, stirring to blend well; cool. Beat 2 eggs in a mixing bowl until thick and lemon-colored. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, salt and almond extract and mix well. Stir in the chopped pecans and the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Reserve one cup of the batter. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the top. Drop the reserved batter over the cream cheese mixture and swirl with a knife to marbleize. Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes or until the brownies test done. Cool on a wire rack and cut into squares.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rhode Island’s A Tasteful Reflection of Historic Rhode Island (Providence, Rhode Island, 1995).