- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This well-seasoned dish will be a hit for those who delight in crawfish and eggplant.
- Crawfish and Eggplant:
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound crawfish tails, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick ) light stick margarine
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned fatfree chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- dash nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare the Crawfish and Eggplant: In a large pan, melt margarine and saute eggplant, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic until tender, about 8 minutes. Add thyme, salt and pepper, basil, and crawfish, cooking 5 more minutes. Transfer to a 9x9x2-inch square baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare the Topping: Melt margarine in a skillet over medium heat and saute green onions 3 mintues. Add flour and stir. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring until thick. Add lemon juice and nutmeg. Spread Topping over and bake for 20 minutes.