Crawfish and Rice Casserole
- Yield servings
You can substitute shrimp in this crowd-pleasing dish.
- 1 (8-ounce) package light cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 pounds crawfish tails, rinsed
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 4 ounces light pasteurized processed cheese spread, cubed
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- dash white pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In microwave, melt cream cheese in a microwaveproof dish 1 minute, stirring until melted; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt margarine over medium heat and saute onions and peppers until tender, about 5 minutes. Add crawfish tails and cook 10 minutes, or until well heated. Add cream of mushroom soup, cream cheese, cheese spread, cooked rice, green onions, garlic, cayenne and white pepper. Transfer to a 2- to 3-quart casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.