Cranberry Sauce Shrub
- 1large orange
- 1/2cup sugar
- 2cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 nutmeg, cracked
- 1/2teaspoon allspice berries, cracked
- 1/2tablespoon roughly chopped ginger
- Build an oleo-saccharum (oily sugar): Zest orange into a bowl, and add sugar. Muddle sugar and orange peel. (If you do not have a cocktail muddler, use a ladle.) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave alone for about an hour, or even longer, if you have the time. After 1 hour (or longer), remove peels from bowl and discard, reserving the oily sugar.
- Juice the orange and set the juice aside.
- Add cranberries and vinegar to a blender, and blend until pureed.
- Add cranberry-vinegar mixture, orange juice, oleo-saccharum, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger to a stainless steel container. Allow to steep on the countertop for up to 2 days, so the flavors of the spices meld with the other ingredients.
- Strain off and discard solids.
Excerpted from Shurbs: An Old-Fashioned Drink for Modern Times, 2014 by Michael Dietsch. Reproduced by permission of The Countryman Press.