Cranberry Pear Kuchen
- Yield 12 servings
This diabetes-friendly baked dessert combines two fruits not often seen together — but the combination is perfectly pleasing.
- Fruit Layer:
- 2 cups cranberries, chopped
- 8 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 pear or apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Kuchen Layer:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup crunchy topping of oats, brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon
- Fruit Layer: In a saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, cinnamon and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Stir into cranberry mixture and simmer, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in pear. Set aside.
- Kuchen Layer: In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) water, oil and vanilla until frothy. Stir into flour mixture until just blended.
- Spread kuchen layer in prepared baking dish. Pour fruit layer over kuchen layer. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
–Excerpted from 250 Essential Diabetes Recipes by Sharon Zeiler, Canadian Diabetes Association © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. http://www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.