- Yield 1 dozens
Fortified with whole-wheat flour and oats, these muffins are a great breakfast treat.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease about 12 cups of muffins tins.
- Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (flour through orange rind) in a large bowl. Combine milk, egg and applesauce in a separate bowl. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir well.
- Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Fill muffin cups about two-thirds full. Sprinkle tops with additional sugar. Bake 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.