Cranberry Gingerbread with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream
- Yield 8 to 12 servings
This is a delicious dessert to serve for your holiday gathering.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsulfured light molasses
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped in food processor
- 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- -- Additional ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; dust with flour.
- Sift first 8 ingredients into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in separate mixing bowl and add brown sugar until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour in molasses and beat to combine.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk into egg mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Fold in cranberries and crystallized ginger.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake at 350F until springy to touch, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with brown sugar whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington, Inc.’s Entertaining with Bluegrass Winners (Lexington, Ky., 2008).