- Yield 2
These crispy window pane cookies star a colorful, sweet cranberry sauce.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cranberry Sauce:
- 4 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium saucepan, prepare cranberry sauce by boiling sugar and water together for 5 minutes. Add cranberries and boil without stirring for about another 5 minutes until all the skins pop open. Remove from the heat when the popping stops and allow the sauce to remain in saucepan undisturbed until cool. Drain juice from cranberry sauce.
- Cream sugar and shortening, add well-beaten egg, flour, baking powder and salt. Add vanilla last. Chill dough. Roll out very thin on lightly floured surface and cut with round scalloped cookie cutter. Place one teaspoon full of cranberry sauce on cookie round. Place a cookie round from which the center has been cut out, on top. Press edges together firmly with tines of fork.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes. (Baking time may vary depending on size of cookie. This time is based on a 2- inch cookie).
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin State Cranberry Growers Association