Cranberry Carrot Cake
- Yield: 12 servings
- 4-- well beaten eggs
- 1cup salad oil
- 1cup white sugar
- 1cup brown sugar
- 1cup whole cranberry sauce
- 1cup grated carrots
- 3cups flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon soda
- 1/2teaspoon each: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1stick butter (no substitutes)
- 1-- (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 3/4 to 1-- (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2cup nuts (optional)
- To prepare cake: In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugars, cranberry sauce and carrots together. Combine remaining ingredients and mix into first mixture, stirring well. Bake in greased and floured tube or bundt pan at 325F oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Tastes like a spice cake and keeps indefinitely. Serve plain or iced.
- To make the icing: Cream butter and cream cheese at room temperature. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla (adjust sugar to desired consistency). Stir in nuts. Spread on cake. Freezes well.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Charlotte’s Charlotte Cooks Again (The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc., Charlotte, North Carolina, 1981).