Cranberry Carrot Cake
- Yield 12 servings
Cranberry sauce and carrots star in this delicious cake.
- 4 -- well beaten eggs
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon each: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter (no substitutes)
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 3/4 to 1 -- (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional)
- To prepare cake: In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugars, cranberry sauce and carrots together. Combine remaining ingredients and mix into first mixture, stirring well. Bake in greased and floured tube or bundt pan at 325F oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Tastes like a spice cake and keeps indefinitely. Serve plain or iced.
- To make the icing: Cream butter and cream cheese at room temperature. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla (adjust sugar to desired consistency). Stir in nuts. Spread on cake. Freezes well.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Charlotte’s Charlotte Cooks Again (The Junior League of Charlotte, Inc., Charlotte, North Carolina, 1981).