Cranberry Bread with Orange and Oats
- Yield: 16 servings
- 2 eggs
- 1cup packed light brown sugar
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1medium orange, diced with skin
- 3/4cup orange juice
- 1cup quick-cooking oats
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1cup whole-wheat flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2cups dried, sweetened cranberries
- 2cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-x-5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine eggs and brown sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. Add oil and diced orange. Process until orange is minced. Gradually add orange juice.
- Mix oats, all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in orange mixture until just blended. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine cranberries and water in a medium bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain well, shaking off excess liquid.
- Fold cranberries into batter. Pour loaf pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Cool 15 minutes in pan and remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Serves 16.
Recipe by Mary Ann Kauchak, Woodbridge, Va.