Cranberry Braised Red Cabbage
- Yield 4 servings
Serve this colorful cabbage side dish with tofu or with your holiday meal.
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) head red cabbage, cored, halved and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup raspberry or Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar or fructose
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water or fruit juice
- Place first 8 ingredients in a large nonreactive saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until cabbage just begins to wilt. Lower heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes. Mix cornstarch and water or juice. Stir into cabbage and continue simmering about 2 minutes or until liquid is thick and clear.