Bulgur and Apple Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Cracked wheat is rich in fiber and protein and can be served as a breakfast cereal, or for lunch as this salad.
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking bulgur
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 green (Granny Smith) apple, cubed
- 2 red (Gala) apples, cubed
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1/2 cup dried tart red cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup plain low-fat (2%) Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Combine bulgur and water in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Stir in apples, celery, cherries and walnuts. In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon salt and pepper. Pour three-fourths of the dressing over bulgur mixture and stir until bulgur is coated. Serve salad on whole lettuce leaves. Add more dressing if you like.
Recipe by Serena Ball