Crabmeat, Vidalia Onion and Tomato Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Using fresh vine ripened tomatoes is a must in this tasty crabmeat salad.
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch each: salt and pepper
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium vine-ripe red tomato, diced
- 1 medium vine-ripe yellow tomato, diced
- 12 ounces fresh blue lump crabmeat, picked over to remove shell fragments
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 basil leaves, julienned
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Add Vidalia onion and cucumber slices to vinegar mixture and toss to coat. Marinate for 1 to 2 hours. Add tomatoes, crabmeat, olive oil, scallions and basil. Toss gently and adjust seasoning. To serve, divide salad among 4 chilled plates.
Recipe courtesy of the Vidalia Onion Committee