Crabmeat au Gratin
- Yield 8 servings
Rich and creamy Crabmeat au Gratin needs only a crisp green salad and crusty bread to make a meal.
'This dish is an all-time favorite of my husband, sons and other family members. The first time I made it was Thanksgiving at my home-I should have doubled the recipe!' Serve this rich main dish with a tossed green salad and crusty bread.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (12-ounce) cans low-fat evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 12 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add flour and stir until well blended. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add a ladle of milk mixture to beaten egg yolks; stir well. Pour egg mixture into milk mixture in pan. Add salt, cayenne and black pepper; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Place crabmeat in a medium bowl. Add sauce and mix gently but thoroughly to blend. Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle with Cheddar.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and begins to lightly brown.
Recipe by Lillie Duhon, Port Neches, Texas