Crabmeat au Gratin Made Easy
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
If you like, top this super casserole with shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese before baking.
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, green part only, sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 pounds lump or white crabmeat, or combination of both
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium pot, melt margarine over medium heat and saute celery, onion and green onion stems until tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cayenne, stirring. Gradually add evaportaed milk and skim milk and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens. Gently fold in crabmeat.
- Place in a casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray or in individual sprayed ramekins. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake 10 minutes.