- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/4cup shortening
- 1cup flour
- 5tablespoons ice water
- 10ounces backfin or lump crab meat or spinach
- 1 1/2cups (6-ounces) chopped Swiss cheese
- 3-- eggs, or equivalent amount of egg substitute
- 1-- (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 2tablespoons finely chopped onion
- -- Pepper to taste
- -- Nutmeg to taste
- -- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Cut the shortening into the flour in a bowl until crumbly. Add the ice water and mix until the mixture forms a ball. Roll the pastry between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Fit the pastry into a 9-inch pie plate; crimp the edges.
- Sprinkle the crab meat in the pastry-lined pie plate. Top with the cheese. Whisk the eggs in a bowl until blended. Stir in the evaporated skim milk. Add the onion, pepper, nutmeg and Tabasco sauce and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pie plate. Bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until light brown and set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 8 wedges and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Maryland Dietetic Association’s Explore the Tastes of Maryland; From the Mountains to the Sea (Maryland Dietetic Association, Brooklandville, Marlyland, 2002).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 272
- Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 107mg
- Sodium 146mg
- Carbohydrate 18g
- Fiber <1g
- Protein 15g
- Calcium 376mg