Crab Meat Mousse
- Yield 5 cups
Serve this crab meat mousse as an appetizer with crackers or as a salad.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked crab meat or salmon
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 -- (10-ounce) can tomato soup
- 9 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Line mold with plastic wrap. Combine the crab meat, celery, green pepper, lemon juice, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and Tabasco sauce in a bowl and mix well. Let stand to allow flavors to blend. Soften the gelatin in the cold water for 5 minutes and mix well. Combine the soup and cream cheese in a double boiler. Cook over low heat until blended, stirring frequently. Stir in the gelatin mixture. Remove from heat. Cool until slightly thickened. Stir in the mayonnaise. Add the crab meat mixture and mix well. Spoon into prepared mold. Chill until set. Invert onto serving platter. Serve with assorted party crackers. May serve as a salad. Substitute shrimp for crab meat or salmon if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious; How to Cater Your Own Party (Decatur, Alabama, 1997).