Crab and Asparagus Bisque
- Yield 12 servings
Crab and asparagus bisque is a delicious and hearty soup to serve on a cold night.
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 -- bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups White Wine Fumet or clam juice
- 2 1/4 cups chopped fresh steamed asparagus, divided
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 ounces chicken base or bouillon to taste
- 3 cups Alaskan king crabmeat
- 1/2 cup sherry
- dash white pepper
- -- Sour cream
- -- Sliced green onions
- In heavy saucepan, cook shallots, garlic, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and Tabasco in 1 cup butter.
- Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat. Cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add flour and mix well.
- Return to heat. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- In small skillet, slowly cook carrots, celery and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; (This is called a mirepoix.)
- Add Fish Fumet and mirepoix to flour mixture. Boil 5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups asparagus, milk and chicken base. Simmer 20 mintues. Puree in blender or food processor.
- Add crabmeat, remaining asparagus, sherry and pepper.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Garnish each serving with sour cream and green onions.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Augusta’s Second Round; Tea Time at the Masters(Augusta, Georgia, 1988).