Cowgirl Breakfast Casserole
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
“Because Cody, Wyo., is a true Western town and the home of Buffalo Bill, our guests have given Wild West names to many of our favorite recipes. This hearty recipe will give any cowboy or cowgirl a good start to the day,” says Wendy Evarts of The Victorian Bed and Breakfast, Cody, Wyo.
- Vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray
- 1pound bulk sausage, browned and drained
- 1/2pound bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 12ounces frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2cups shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1cup reduced-fat Bisquick mix
- 3cups 2% (reduced-fat) milk
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- Oil a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish or spray it with cooking spray.
- Combine sausage, bacon, hash browns, bell pepper, green onions and 1 cup cheese in a large bowl. Spread in baking pan.
- Whisk together Bisquick, milk, salt and eggs until well blended. Pour over potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight (no longer than 24 hours).
- The Next Day: Preheat oven to 375F. Remove dish from refrigerator.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes, until light golden brown around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Sleep On It (Hyperion, 2006), by Carol Gordon
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 380
- Fat 24g
- Saturated Fat 10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 135mg
- Sodium 900mg
- Potassium 430mg
- Carbohydrate 15g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 23g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 8%
- Vitamin C 15%
- Calcium 30%
- Iron 10%