Cowboy Coffee Steak
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2cup finely ground coffee
- 1/4cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4cup kosher salt
- 1/2cup coarsely ground pepper
- 4 (12 to 14 ounce) rib eye steaks
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix the ground coffee, brown sugar, kosher salt and pepper in a small bowl. Press evenly over both sides of the steaks.
- Heat the vegetable oil until smoking in a skillet large enough to hold the steaks without crowding.
- Add the steaks and sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove to a baking sheet.
- Roast the steaks at 450 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, or until done to taste.
- Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes or longer before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Plano, Lone Star to Five Star, Culinary Creations for Every Occasion (The Junior League of Plano, 2004)
For more information on why meat needs to rest after cooking, watch this video for tips from the “Butcher Boys” of Porter Road Butcher in Nashville, TN