Cowboy Chocolate Cake
- Yield: 15 servings
- 1 1/2sticks unsalted butter
- 3cups sugar
- 3large eggs
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- 4ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 3teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4cup buttermilk
- 1/3cup strong, boiling coffee
- Warm Chocolate Sauce:
- 2cups heavy cream
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16ounces semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour 9×12-inch baking pan.
- Cream butter sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Add melted chocolate and beat 1 to 2 minutes.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Alternate adding dry mixture and buttermilk to butter and sugar mixture. Beat until blended.
- Slowly add boiling coffee and beat until smooth. Bake 1 hour.
- Serve with warm chocolate sauce.
- To prepare the chocolate sauce. Heat heavy cream until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and add cayenne pepper and chocolate. Stir until blended.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington, Inc.’s Entertaining with Bluegrass Winners (Lexington, Ky., 2008).