Cowboy Chocolate Cake
- Yield 15 servings
This warm and chocolaty dessert will be a hit.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup strong, boiling coffee
- Warm Chocolate Sauce:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour 9×12-inch baking pan.
- Cream butter sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Add melted chocolate and beat 1 to 2 minutes.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Alternate adding dry mixture and buttermilk to butter and sugar mixture. Beat until blended.
- Slowly add boiling coffee and beat until smooth. Bake 1 hour.
- Serve with warm chocolate sauce.
- To prepare the chocolate sauce. Heat heavy cream until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and add cayenne pepper and chocolate. Stir until blended.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington, Inc.’s Entertaining with Bluegrass Winners (Lexington, Ky., 2008).