The Beef Checkoff
- 2pounds ground beef (95% lean)
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2cups chopped onions
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 2medium yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1large jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/4cup chili powder
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1-- (28-ounce) can crushed canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1-- (14 1/2-ounce) can chili-seasoned or zesty-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-- (14-ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
- 12fluid ounces dark beer
- 1/3cup tomato paste
- 1tablespoon honey
- 2-- (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- -- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Brown ground beef in stockpot over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Remove from stockpot with slotted spoon. Set aside. Pour off drippings.
Heat oil in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add bell peppers and jalapeño; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Return beef crumbles to stockpot. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme and red pepper; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, beer, tomato paste and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover stockpot; continue simmering 30 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until beans are heated through. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Recipe reprinted from The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by John Wiley & Sons.