Couscous with Prunes, Chickpeas and Pistachios
- Yield 8 servings
This dish is incredible with grilled eggplant over the top.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 -- cinnamon stick
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped pitted prunes
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking couscous
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup chpped fresh mint
- -- Salt
- In a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, cumin and cinnamon stick and saute 2 minutes until onions are lightly browned. Add chickpeas, prunes, broth and orange juice. Bring liquid to a boil over high heat and add couscous. Cover tightly and remove from heat. Allow to sit 10 minutes, remove cover and add pistachios, mint and salt; toss to mix.