Couscous Shrimp Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1cup all-natural chicken broth
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1cup whole wheat couscous
- 2tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch thin strips
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1pound medium or large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/3cup packed fresh basil leaves, cut into very thin strips
- 4 to 5tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 to 2 lemons)
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the broth and olive oil in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, stir in the couscous, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and garlic and cook about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Push the vegetables to the side, add the remaining oil, and raise the heat to medium-high. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes per side or until they turn pink and opaque.
- Remove pan from the heat, stir in the basil, lemon juice, salt, and prepared couscous and toss to combine. Season with pepper to taste.
Recipe by Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD & Liz Weiss, MS, RD